For those of you researching Elizabeth Montagu during lockdown why not make a film of a Shakespeare excerpt!
Elizabeth Montagu (1718-1800) was famous in her lifetime as a Shakespeare critic, salon hostess and champion of women’s writing. She is largely attributed for contributing to the veneration of Shakespeare and his subsequent honouring as our National Bard.
Christened “Queen of the Bluestockings” by Samuel Johnson, Montagu attracted the leading writers, politicians and artists of her day to her sparkling London assemblies, where she placed a new emphasis on conversation as a pleasurable and enlightened pursuit.
In response to reading An Essay On The Writings And Genius Of Shakespear
- Intro yourself and add “This is a contribution to the Unity Arts Project – BLUE CIRCLE OF DISSENT”
- Select your favourite quote from the Montagu essay and open with that
- Follow with a recitation of your favourite Shakespeare piece. (2 mins).
- If you have the tech include this logo in your credits
- Send us via a vimeo or you tube link in the form below and we will put on our website and youtube channel!
For additional background research you can also read her letters here at Elizabeth Montagu Letters
Looking forward to hearing and seeing you!